Victory Service Dogs Dog Donation Disclaimer
To ensure that dogs accepted into the Victory Service Dogs training program are of the highest quality, dogs that do not meet the VSD requirements will NOT be considered. The following breeds will NOT be considered: small dog breeds weighing under 30 pounds (Chihuahua, Yorkie, Bichon Frise, etc.), herding breeds (Blue Heeler, Border Collie, Australian Shepherds, etc.), dogs that are over the age of two, dogs that are overweight or obese, dogs that have had health issues in the past, dogs that show signs of aggression or have a history of aggressive behavior, and dogs that show signs of negative reactivity.
The best dogs usually show high intelligence, have a friendly disposition, a calm demeanor, and a strong work drive. All dogs are subject to Assessment and Temperament testing by a VSD trainer prior to being accepted into the VSD training program.
All dogs are subject to Assessment and Temperament testing by a VSD trainer prior to being accepted into the VSD training program. All dog donors must be willing to comply with the following:
- Home and care for the dog at donor’s expense until the dog can be placed with a veteran.
- Transport the dog to and from the facility for assessment and for veteran meet and greets to determine team compatibility.
- Reassume ownership of the dog if it does not bond with or does not meet the needs of the veteran that it is initially paired with.
- Reassume ownership of the dog if it washes/fails from the program and the veteran is unable to or does not want to keep the dog as a pet.
- Attend classes with the dog to begin service dog training (age dependent).