Victory Service Dogs Veteran Enrollment Application
Please read this information carefully prior to submitting application.
Victory Service Dogs Inc.
- Victory Service Dogs Inc. (VSD) is a client-based training program for veterans who have been diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), TBIs (Traumatic Brain Injuries), and/or physical disabilities. Veterans that have been diagnosed with PTSD as well as anxiety or depression, and who are actively engaged in, or have recently completed therapy, are welcome to apply.
- VSD identifies service dog candidates through trusted breeders and local rescue organizations. VSD’s trainers will assess all dogs to determine if they have the potential to be a service animal.
Responsibilities of the Veteran
- Veterans are responsible for the cost of caring for the dog (food, vet care, etc…).
- Veterans accepted into the program will be the primary caretaker of the dog and the dog must reside with the veteran.
- Veterans must be the primary handler/trainer and are required to attend 1 training session per week with a professional VSD trainer. On average, the training program takes 18-24 months to complete.
- The most successful candidates are highly committed to consistently meeting the training schedule. Please consider whether this will fit into your lifestyle. Veterans with 3 unexcused absences in the span of 1 month will need to undergo Academic Probation from the program at the organization’s discretion.
- Once a veteran’s service dog is certified and registered, they will also need to re-certify every three years by taking a renewal test.
According to Assistance Dogs International a service dog is defined as “a dog that works for individuals with disabilities other than blindness or deafness. Service dogs are trained to perform a wide variety of tasks including but not limited to; pulling a wheelchair, bracing, retrieving, alerting to a medical crisis, and providing assistance in a medical crisis.”
Please read the FAQ and Support page for additional information.
Victory Service Dogs Inc. does not discriminate based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, or physical or mental disability for the purpose of service, employment, membership, volunteering, or leadership.
Requirements Before Interview
In order to be considered for the program, the following items will need to have been completed and/or received by VSD prior to the Interview is scheduled.
- Completed Enrollment Application
- Nonrefundable $50 Application Fee
- Copy of DD214 and/or orders to your transition battalion
- Medical recommendation from doctor or mental health professional stating need for service dog
- This letter requires the veteran’s full name, the doctor or mental health professional’s clinic name, address, signature, contact information.
Application materials are confidential. Your written application and supplemental materials are considered the property of Victory Service Dogs Inc.